Problem Translation

Site news and updates.
BartTM

Re: Problem Translation

Post by BartTM »

Yup, that comma. Good you found the problem. Err, the problem with the problem. ;)

The translation page used to show the problem the text was derived from, but that's gone now. I agree with novicenovice; seeing the context could help.
Then again, the same sentence could mean something else in a different context. We may hit upon untranslatable texts for that reason. In that case the only resolution is to add to the English text to remove the ambiguity.
But let's not worry about that until it really happens.
BartTM

Post by BartTM »

I just had to translate this:
"This does work, but listing all variations was too cumbersome. (Until BartTM came along to save the day, that is.) (Yes, humbleness is my middle name :-) )."
:D :D :D :oops: :D

Ah well. Bedtime.
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

whoops, i had a bug. fixed now with showing source problems.

yeah, not sure how the comma text got in. most other items seem to be okay.

ambitious, of course! but we're already making great progress thanks to some superb contributions from the community. german is probably already 10% translated (future problems will have a lot of repeated text from already translated items) and other languages aren't that far behind.

if there's a bad translation, click the New Translation option and submit a better one. eventually i'll put in voting so people can choose the best one among multiple options. that's my intended solution for bad translations.
BartTM

Post by BartTM »

What if the source problem has a glitch, like problem 522, which makes the comment obsolete?
The comment suggest that a variation is bad even though White can live. But White can not live.
(I hope I'm right in my analysis of problem 522... I've been wrong before :oops: )

Been struggling with some translations like 'Step up to the plate' (err... Baseball? The game we hardly know about?) and 'Tesuji Central' (meaning Tesuji Hub, Tesuji's Galore, etc? But so hard to catch with that same gist in Dutch)
I've seen the German entries for those and fear those miss the intended meaning.
Translation is so much more difficult than many think...
No need for perfection, do need to keep the tongue in cheek approach. But idioms can be tough.
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

hmmmn. maybe i can add comments on each translation item. one could be the plain english meaning of idiomatic phrases...
BartTM

Post by BartTM »

Or maybe a 'Discuss this' option where translators can add to.
After looking it up I did translate 'steps up to the plate' as 'betreedt het slagveld' which means 'enters the batting zone' but also 'enters the battle zone', an idiom in itself for approaching tricky or damaged situations.
I would have added my views by this option if it were available.

It would also be nice to have the problem number in the translation list. To be able to filter on that would be ideal.
Once the list gets really big you would not want to preload all entries at once anyway.
BartTM

Post by BartTM »

Whoops, SQL errors while translating...
Copied from the page:

trans for nl

problem trans home | editing rules
What is White's best way to prevent Black from making the hane at A?

Google translate suggests:

SELECT tr_comment.*, author.name FROM tr_comment, author WHERE author.id = tr_comment.authorid AND item_id = 4031 ORDER BY whentime DESC

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/adumps/web/go/html/trans/tr/translate.php on line 127

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/adumps/web/go/html/trans/tr/translate.php on line 135
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

is this still happening? I think i fixed it
BartTM

Post by BartTM »

It is fixed, thanks.
chuspita

Post by chuspita »

Bart,

thank's for your suggestions.

Changed the German translation for 'White steps up to the plate...' to 'Weiß stellt sich der Herausforderung...' (White faces the challenge ...). A hint from dict.cc website.

What do you think about "Tesuji hoofdkwartier" (tesuji central). For now I translated your Dutch version into German language.

I fully agree about 'the problem number in the translation list'. It would also be helpful if the already translated list could be sorted by column (translator, translation date, problem...).