New problem header

Site news and updates.
adum
Site Admin

New problem header

Post by adum »

i've redesigned the top info area on problem pages. i've tried to simplify it a lot, cleaning it up and moving some of the detail into popups. if you click on the problem ID or the difficulty, it will pop up more detail in those areas.

the problem difficulty is now in large type. it also corresponds to the new difficulty setting instead of the old wins/tries method, which means it should match up with the user rating much better, and when you hit the Next button, you'll get problems around your level.

let me know what you think...
0n1

Re: New problem header

Post by 0n1 »

I really love the new header and new problem feeding system. It's so much more accurate than before.
Thanks a lot!
0n1

Post by 0n1 »

By accurate, I meant the problem rating now is more accurate, so my rank becomes more accurate.
0n1

Post by 0n1 »

And now the problem that it used to feed me several ranks higher than my level is gone.
Great job, Adum!
0n1

Post by 0n1 »

The only thing I don't like though, is that now it says my rank is x.x kyu, that looks really weird to me.
I'm good without knowing the exact fractional number, and it doesn't really make a difference to me seeing it any way, as it just changes all the time (actually it's a little distracting).
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

interesting about the fractional rank. i thought people would want to see it change more often than if i only show the integral number. any other opinions on this?
piccolo

Post by piccolo »

Hello Adum,

Although I didn't have problems with the former, this header is good too, thanks. However, (at least on my screen) there is one issue : clicking on problem ID just darken the top and borders of the screen, but pop-up nothing. (I'm using chrome 20.0.1132.57 m on windows). I think that for some reasons the pop-up appears "under" the page.

So now problems ratings change accordingly to the estimated strength of the solvers and maybe the time they used. Sounds good. I'm curious to know the algorithm :)

Concerning fractional kyus/dans, I prefer this way because I see how close I go to one level or another. But integers would be fine too, not a big deal.

I have another request : I loved the "back" ("next") button which allowed to jump to the previous (next) problem ordered by date. It's much easier to solve a series of new problems with these buttons. If you can add them (at least the "back" one), then the interface would be perfect to me.

And I have a final request : it would be really nice to have a button on top of the screen to remove a problem from our favorites. The "add to favorites" button could just turn into "remove from favorites". I tend to add as favorite any beautiful problem that I'm unable to solve after 10-15 minutes, so my list is quite crowded and this button would really help to clean ^^

Thanks in advance,
Piccolo / Benjamin
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

thanks for the comments.

for the pop-under problem, i think it only happens in java mode. you can try javascript mode, it should work there.
rajdhani

Post by rajdhani »

adum wrote:interesting about the fractional rank. i thought people would want to see it change more often than if i only show the integral number. any other opinions on this?
I like seeing the fractional amount :geek: