Having trouble developing a Go style

BenRoshi

Post by BenRoshi »

Yeah, I know that what I'm asking for is a way to force myself in to a way of playing the game, and I know that's bad. However, it seems to me lately that solving Go problems is way more fun than playing Go ^^;;. Is there any style of play that would put my love for Go problems into practice? And if you know the style, do you also know any players that practice this (pros maybe) so I could get a few of their games to look over.

I just don't want to lose the fun of Go, but if all I ever do is Go problems I just don't think I can keep it up. Any advice?

{Posted by BenRoshi}
Remoth0

hmmm

Post by Remoth0 »

well, if you are going to develop a style, the only way to do it is by playing other people or playing yourself and analyze every move possible and determine what the best move is.

I am Remoth0!!!!!!!!!

{Posted by Remoth0}
koala

Post by koala »

the way i play is i just try and kill big groups of stones. thats how i put the problems into practice....

{Posted by koala}
crapougne

Developping a go style ...

Post by crapougne »

I think it is important that you may develop your sense of the game. In a go game it is *always a matter of territory versus influence. In the beginning of the game you can build influence, which you can use later to build up territories.

If you enjoy fighting and a good life and death situation, then you should 1) study your joseki and the way to punish mistakes 2) learn to make good shape even in dnagerous environment 3) fight hard from the beginning of the game, tenuki when possible and drive the opponent stones as you attack them, so that you get lots of influence.

Try your best ! :p
Crapougne

{Posted by crapougne}
Kenwolf

Post by Kenwolf »

The cool thing about this is that you ALREADY have a playing style. The only way to develop your style and "bring it out" more during play is to do just that. Play! The more experience you have at playing Go, the more your playing style will show. Think about it. You may be an aggressive player, or maybe you are reserved and take your time during moves. Even this is is part of your style. Only when you play more will your style change, develop, and be more noticeable to you and the people around you. Just give it time. You'll see.

My current KGS rank: 16kyu and rising!
www.gokgs.com

{Posted by Kenwolf}
Field Mouse

Style

Post by Field Mouse »

There are no good styles, you can choose whatever you wish.
To experiment with styles I recommend a bit strange method - play the first move in your game random on a higher line than four, the second move not in the corner and then try hard to win.
First you may lose some games because of this, but the experience is interesting.

~~~(___*>
Field Mouse

{Posted by Field Mouse}
Josekikun

Post by Josekikun »

i had that issue way back when i started, but the way to make a style (at least as ive found) is to play play play, watch what moves mess up make the situation bad, then watch moves that help alot then try to find replacements for the bad moves that aid the good ones.

also, try not to do unnecicary moves, and try to stay in sente (innitiative)

{Posted by Josekikun}