suggestions for endgame counting

andrewb

Post by andrewb »

Im new to go im starting to get the hang of things but i dont know how to count up properly at the end game. Does anyone know where i could practice endgame counting?

Ive read there are 2 ways of endgame counting japanese and chinese? which is normally used and should i learn both?

if there is a site somewhere with problems where i can practice counting the board or even a site that shows a counted up board and details that would be very handy thanks for any information in advance.

{Posted by andrewb}
andrewb

Post by andrewb »

by the way i can count up easy end game solutions its in more complex larger boards that i start seeing alot of my problems.

{Posted by andrewb}
inextremis

counting

Post by inextremis »

Learn both, because it won't take long.
http://senseis.xmp.net/?ChineseCountingExample
http://senseis.xmp.net/?JapaneseCountingExample
I used Chinese counting only when I lived in China. In the Minneapolis (USA) club we use (simplified) Japanese counting. Why? It's local custom, it's faster, it's easier to resolve scoring disputes, and Japanese counting doesn't mess up the board as much so reviewing is easier. (And it's fun to say "I think I can fit my head into your center territory," and then attempt to do so.)

Chinese counting is actually pretty intuitive. First, be sure to play out all the dame. After both players pass, fill in ALL the black territory with black stones (or leave out, say, 50 points, and make a mental note of it). Captures are irrelevant. Add up all the black stones (usually making groups of 10). On a 19x19 board if Black has 181 points (half the board + 1) + komi, then he or she wins. Easy!

Seki complicates things, but that's the general idea.

{Posted by inextremis}
andrewb

Post by andrewb »

Thank you very much for the response ill get right onto learning that as much as possible it seemed my biggest problem was finding out who owned a corner or any territory when both black and white seemed to have some control over the area.

{Posted by andrewb}