deactivated comments

Post by Guest »

There's an error with the deactivated comments: They show up as "Show nn deactivated problems" - that should be "Show nn deactivated comments".

Also, I think it might be an idea to allow people to deactivate their own comments, and to allow problem submitters and editors to reactivate deactivated comments.

{Posted by }
santa c

another idea..

Post by santa c »

some comments, like "can't i play ..." or "y doesn't..." which get an anwser, but might not be related, should have an auto-remove switch 4 ex:

q:"i've solved this... why doesn't it display my name?"

a:"because u need to check 'publish attempts' option in ur 'user setting'..."

after such a commet, i'd like him to see the anwser, but on the other hand, i don't want to get the comments flooded. nor do i want to remmber, the problem, and go back to deactivating it...

a nice solution would be, marking both the q & a to be removed 4 ex. in 24 hours or 2 days...(a preset value of some kind..)

(btw - the "deactivate comments" option, is really usefull... and you(to adum), sure made it really fast... wow..)

{Posted by santa c}

Oh...

Post by Guest »

I suddenly see the 'reactivate' already exists. But there is an error on the page with deactivated comments: It says "edited by" rather than "deactivated by".

{Posted by }
admin

Post by admin »

thanks for the comments folks. (no pun intended.) i've fixed the text now. the reason is said "edited by" is because it will also have a value here for problems reactivated, so i didn't want to use the word "deactivated." i think i found a compromise.

it should now be possible for people to remove their own comments. good idea.

setting a time to expire comments is a good idea, but it will have to wait for me to get around to that...

adum

{Posted by admin}
unkx80

Post by unkx80 »

In http://www.goproblems.com/comment.php3?prob=2816 I made some comment which I attempted to deactivate later. But I get an error message "you cannot do this" for any of the last three comments of mine. Did I do anything wrong?

{Posted by unkx80}
Marcin Kaminski

Post by Marcin Kaminski »

I think that there should be a period after adding the comment when nobody deactivates it. I've added a comment to a new problem (one that still stays on main page) and it got deactivated after several hours. Maybe it was really stupid one, but next somebody send a comment saying basically the same as me. Is comment deactivation a way of censoring people here? Are comments still a way of sharing views about problems?

{Posted by Marcin Kaminski}
chrise

Post by chrise »

I have posted a mixture of foolish comments and, hopefully, intelligent ones as well, and I hope that they have added to the debate on the particular problem in question. Essentially I find all responses and comments useful as an educational tool, and I find the current system works fine. One can, after all, view the deactivated comments, which is as it should be.

chrise

{Posted by chrise}
santa c

Post by santa c »

[quote]
I think that there should be a period after adding the comment when nobody deactivates it. I've added a comment to a new problem (one that still stays on main page) and it got deactivated after several hours. Maybe it was really stupid one, but next somebody send a comment saying basically the same as me. Is comment deactivation a way of censoring people here? Are comments still a way of sharing views about problems?

[/quote]

lol - most likely, the reason, is that somebody already fixed, ur request... or was going, to... besides, they're still viewable...

(it happened to me a couple of times, as well - a bit annoying, having a notice of a new comment, arriving to ur email - and when ur checking, it's just what u said... ppl, really, should read, at least a bit of each comment, or the last couple to get an idea, of the discussion, and wherether, it was already said...)

{Posted by santa c}