Complicated 'CHOICE' brachs...

santa c

Post by santa c »

I'm sorry, if I'm flooding... I really, mean no harm.. ;)

From my expirience, branches, which have more choices, and therefore 'CHOICE' tags, in them, are more likely, to be played. (Like with problem 2792 - Checkout the comments, for the explanation.)

It'd be nice, if there was a tag saying 'ECHOICE' or something, that'd give all branches, on the same level, an equal chance, to be played...

{Posted by santa c}
admin

Post by admin »

yes, it's true: it kind of counts up the CHOICE tags to make a balanced decision. maybe someday there will be a more sophisticated method, but for now, we just have to make do.

adum

{Posted by admin}
WTD

Post by WTD »

I had a look at the sgf of 2792 (using an applet downloaded some time ago), as it seemed a pity that some variations didn't get played.

After pruning all CHOICE tags except the 4 interesting ones in the lower left corner (which are each on a first move after black plays 'Start'), I could only get the applet to choose between the first two. Adding more CHOICE tags further down the unplayed branches made no difference.

It seems that the applet only allows two options at any given node, although subsequent nodes can also be given two choices. If this is the case, the 'sgf Information' page under 'Choices' should say so. It currently implies that 'two or more' options are available from one point.

{Posted by WTD}