Problem Statistics and Attempt Paths

Sestir

Problem Statistics and Attempt Paths

Post by Sestir »

After editing my first problem and after waiting some 14 hours, I found the attempt paths seemed to indicate that 10 out of 24 people had solved the problem correctly. However the statistics, displayed above the problem, reported 8 successes out of 43 attempts. That is quite a difference.

Could it be that the attempt paths and the number of successful solutions are both reset when the problem gets edited, while the total number of solutions remains unchanged?

Or, could it be that the denominator of "Tries: 8/43", that is 43, counts everyone who visited the page, including those who never clicked in the applet?

Or both?

The attempt paths do not show statistics for the terminal node, so if a correct solution in a black-to-move problem ends with a black move, it does not say how many played it. Is there a way to find out how many actually played the last move and got a "Solved"?
adum
Site Admin

Re: Problem Statistics and Attempt Paths

Post by adum »

sometimes people will give up on a problem before solving it, and so you have different counts. there are a few things like that that mean different numbers for solvers and paths shown. like you will get multiple attempt paths when people retry a problem, but it won't be counted for problem attempts.

the numbers when you look at attempt paths only appear when there's a choice, so you can deduce how many finished at an end point by the last number on that path.
Sestir

Re: Problem Statistics and Attempt Paths

Post by Sestir »

Thanks for your fast reply. It seems everyone who solved it right were credited for it, and I believe I will figure out the rest after a while.
If you or tails have some spare time some day, you could add some description about what the figures really mean. But I could bet you have more important things to do. :)