User Ratings, Problem Difficulty, and Monikers

Vlad

Post by Vlad »

There are three kinds of interesting numbers on goproblems.com and I am having trouble figuring out what they mean. If anyone can clarify, would be appreciated:

1) I believe the kyu/dan difficulty displayed for each problem is based on percentage of people who solve the problem on their first try and the time it takes. Is this right? How is it affected now that only paying users have a history of attempted problems?

2) What is the ' (xx%)' that is displayed on one's user page and in comments one leaves on problems? For example, mine is 'Reads by playing (15%)'.

3) What is the rating that is calculated for each player? It seems to go up when I solve problems correctly and go down when I get them wrong, but how is it calculated? I think mine is currently 17.5.

Thanks!

{Posted by Vlad}
Field Mouse

Answer

Post by Field Mouse »

Hello Vlad,

1) The problem difficulty is based on the % of all the people who solved it, even unregistered ones. If you try a problem and then try it again after some time, you can influence its difficulty again (this is probably connected with some technical magic I dont know :-) )

2)The % tells how many problems you have solved.
It grows up with every solved problem, even if you did not solve it on you first try. The phrase is there for fun and for motivation to improve it :-)

3) There is some desription in the goproblems info, but generally you are right, the more problems you solve, the higher rating and tbe more times you fail, the lower rating you have. The difficulty is also taken into consideration, but probably only adum knows how exactly the system works.

{Posted by Field Mouse}
Vlad

Thanks

Post by Vlad »

Thanks FieldMouse! I looked at the "Info" page, and indeed the explanation was there. I do recall looking around for an answer on the site, but I must have missed that page somehow... My apologies for the bother, but thank you for the explanation.

{Posted by Vlad}