Am I the only one having Mac issues with problem comments?

BostonGo

Am I the only one having Mac issues with problem comments?

Post by BostonGo »

No solution yet to my not being able to read problem comments.

Now, I've begun submitting problems and I can't read the comments to them. Maybe that's a good thing.

I'm sure people will think I'm ignoring them. If my Mac problem is unfixable, what would be the best way to let people know how to get comments to me?

I'm going to try to leave a comment on each of the problems I submit and then check the box to receive future comments by email and see if that works.

> I see that people are commenting on my problems but I can't read them and I'm not receiving emails. I'll have to borrow a P.C. to read them.

> I just discovered I can read most recent comments for the near term.

Is it just my machine? So frustrating. Would love to erase old comments from my personal page.

All suggestions and comments eagerly awaited. Thanks.

{Posted by BostonGo}
Ceiter

Re: Am I the only one having Mac issues with problem comments?

Post by Ceiter »

I've been having the same issue, but I discovered the cause and found a solution.

The problem was that my browsers were using Java 1.4 instead of 5. You can specify which version the browser plugin should use in Java Preferences, which is located in "/Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/". Set the Applet Runtime Settings Java Version to J2SE 5.0, then relaunch Safari/Firefox/whatever and try again. Now when you select the "All Comments" tag, you'll actually see the comments.

If you don't already have J2SE 5.0 installed, download the Java update from Apple's download page.

I think this requires 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard).

{Posted by Ceiter}
BostonGo

My mac problem still not solved.

Post by BostonGo »

I was given some kind advice. Unfortunately I am still unable to read comments using Safari or Firefox after following it. I would welcome any additional suggestions. Thanks.

{Posted by BostonGo}
Ceiter

Re: My mac problem still not solved.

Post by Ceiter »

Hmm. I haven't had any serious issues with the comments since I changed my settings, so I'm afraid I don't know what the problem is. Are you sure that your browser is actually using the newer version of Java now? One way to tell is that as the applet is loading, the newer version displays a large animated logo that says "Java" and "Sun Microsystems", while the older version just displays a very small logo with no words and no animation.

A general troubleshooting tip that could be useful here is to create a second user account in OS X, and see if the problem occurs there as well. If it doesn't, then you'll know the problem is related to your personal settings.

If you haven't already installed all the latest updates, both for Java and for Mac OS X, maybe you should. I think I had already installed 10.4.11 (the latest version of Tiger) when I got it working.

{Posted by Ceiter}