Rating only goes down - bug or feature?

jpwigan

Post by jpwigan »

Registered an account today, starting working through the 20k+ problems. My rating never goes up when I solve a problem on the first try (it stays the same). However, it is more than willing to go down when I get one wrong.

Thinking that they might just be too easy to give rating points, I moved up to some 18k problems and (when I finally managed to get one on the first try) it looks like 18k problems have this behaviour as well.

So, is this a design feature? Do us noobs just labor under very large (small?) negative number ratings until we get better at reading? If so, I'm gonna have fun earning back *that* debt :P

{Posted by jpwigan}
Eivuwan

Post by Eivuwan »

I hope this isn't a feature because I don't like it at all. I am an absolute noob and was just messing around on this site. I didn't notice the user rating system until it was -3900-something... But by then I had already bought a pro account so I couldn't start fresh. It's nearly impossible to get the rating up now and very discouraging. I wondered if it was because the problems I was solving were too easy so I did a little experiment. I logged out and found a solution to a 5 dan problem. I logged back in and solved it and my rating went up by just about 100 points. And I tried it again with another 5 dan problem, and the rating didn't go up. I don't know what this is about. Am I suppose to assume that I'll never be able to get my rating up to a decent number now?

Is there a way to request a reset of my ratings?

{Posted by Eivuwan}
admin

Post by admin »

i think the whole rating system is messed up and i'll probably blow it all away eventually when i fix it.

sorry,
adum

{Posted by admin}
gj5

Re: Rating only goes down - bug or feature?

Post by gj5 »

Well, same confusion here. The little bit of information on the info page talks about ratings between -100 to 100. My rating history starts at 1200 and goes down, down, down. Along those lines, the top problem solvers have a rank next to their name. Where does that one come from? Ranking of ratings or such?
Field Mouse

Post by Field Mouse »

The rating used to be between -100 and 100, but the system changed and now it really starts at 1200.
The rating goes down when you dont solve a problem on the first try (or if you navigate solution before trying) and goes up if you solve it.
If the difference between your rating and the problem rating is too big (problem rating is much lower) then you dont get or lose anything if you solve or not solve it. So solving very easy problems wont help to rise rating.
The problem is that every new problem has rating 1200 even if ultrahard or very easy and if the average new problems are too hard for you, then it is quite impossible to get over the 1200 rating (for someone who solves mostly the new problems rating 1200 expresses the average difficulty of new added problems). The solution might be to solve only older problems where the ratings express their difficulty better.

The starting rating 1200 is also a difficulty for growing the rating as for example I have rating 3057, have tried every problem on the site and cannot rise my rating any further until some new problem grows its rating above 2800 or something, which is quite hard thing.

To the rank - it is based on the % of problems you solved at least once (no matter if on first try) and has nothing to do with the ratings.
gj5

Post by gj5 »

Thanks, that helps. So I guess my first task here will be to find out how low I can go before this thing stabilizes :-)))
zwim

Post by zwim »

I'm on the site for a few months and beginning go at the same time.
Enjoying the site, i've solved quite a bunch of problems in short time, but it's a bit frustrating to have my rating not evolving while i feel i become stronger.

The fact is i've started with 30k problems, and get 50% of them right, 50% of them wrong on first try (don't know the exact statistic, but let assume). So more or less the rating didn't move.
Then i did second and third try on the problems i got wrong and was maybe to 90% solved, but of course they do not count for rating anymore.
Then i went to 25k problems (+the 10% of 30k unsolved pb) and so on, moving to 20k problems, and now solving 18k problems.

But as i progress in the same time i'm solving more and more difficult problems but just a little slower, so i kind of get a success rate that keeps my rating at the same level.

I have the feeling that to get a good rating you have to come to the site with an already good go level, raise your rating by solving the easy problems, and then when the exercises catch up your strength your rating will keep stable.

Is it so ?
No way to get a higher rating (without reseting stats and starting from scratch)?
Only the satisfaction to be able to solve more and more complex problem (which is already fine for me, but...frustrating) ?