Goproblems ratings

Shape

Goproblems ratings

Post by Shape »

Hey folks,

Just visiting from lifein19x19.com

I had a post up on there: http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 61#p125461

I was just wondering if the pro account had some of the old (Pre-rank assignation of problems) structure. I know that I stopped using gp after it switched over mostly because I just wanted to browse problems randomly and wasn't really interested in a rank-based approach.

I know I can still do some problem search (Though as soon as I hit next I end up on a problem aimed at my rank). As far as I can tell, though, the ability to just browse through has been removed for regular users.

So yeah, I guess I'm asking "Do I need a pro account for that functionality? Or is it just gone? And if it is gone, can I have it back?"
adum
Site Admin

Re: Goproblems ratings

Post by adum »

i've resisted adding this feature back in because i always felt it added clutter to the page without providing much value. who really wants to see both 9dan problems and 30kyu problems one after another? but enough people have requested it that i added it back as an option.

now, at the bottom of a problem page, click the link that says "Toggle next/previous buttons" and you'll get the feature back.
hippophile

Re: Goproblems ratings

Post by hippophile »

Well, I don't know about others, but sometimes I just want to relax from the harder problems set for my current rank and just do lots of easier problems fast. It is in fact one of the ways some japanese pros have suggested for getting strong: do lots and lots of easy (easier?) problems quickly, so the patterns get established in the old grey matter.

So I wonder, if you select, say, '2 dan problem', if it could be made to stick to 2 dan problems until you chose another option? One option would then need to be "problems at current rank", I supppose, to back out of the 2 dan mode. That would also seem reasonably logical to me. What do you and other people think?

I do like the diversity of problems on this site, some really neat ones I have never seen, and some wonderfully gory messy ones too! :-)