Link New problem / pattern search

morten

Link New problem / pattern search

Post by morten »

Is it possible to link these 2?

We *should* all be checking to see whether there is already a similar problem in the database before we enter a possible duplicate, but at the moment the 2 are not linked.

2 options for this (miai?)
1. Add a button to the search results page when 'no result' is fond which takes the entered stones into the graphical editor as a new starting position
2. Add a button to the graphical editor to do a pattern search of the starting position. (Potentially, this could be automated and the new problem refused if a duplicate is found)

Either would remove the need for entering the starting position twice.

Since I actually prefer the way to enter a given position using the pattern search, I would actually prefer 1. above - so these are not miai to me. Then again, the possibility to force a check with 2. may be useful as well. Of course, one does not preclude the other, but I am not sure how easy either of these would be to implement...

Morten
adum
Site Admin

Re: Link New problem / pattern search

Post by adum »

that's a good idea but probably a lot of work to implement...

autodetecting dups is really hard because most dups are slightly different in the stones that don't matter, and it's hard to automatically know which those stones are.
morten

Re: Link New problem / pattern search

Post by morten »

Sure - I wasn't suggesting to change the current pattern search functionality, just to add a link so that, once I have checked for a pattern and got a 'no matches found', I can import that pattern into a new SGF file in the graphical editor without needing to reenter that position in the graphical editor.

Morten