I think admin shall ban early game problems on 5k or lower

miushock

I think admin shall ban early game problems on 5k or lower

Post by miushock »

I just found this web site today and loved it alot.

Most dead or live questions are well designed and carefully programmed. with a few not exhausting all valid moves.

But the early game problems made totally no sense. Early game of go is extremely vague and personal, some concepts suggested by those early game problems would be misleading rather than helping new players.
adum
Site Admin

Re: I think admin shall ban early game problems on 5k or low

Post by adum »

yes, most joseki problems probably shouldn't be on this site at all. this is something i may move to clean up. thanks.
hippophile

Post by hippophile »

Fuseki problems are a tough issue. How many of us really know if that ideal looking move is the only move? I have met pros who have found "better" solutions for Fuseki problems in books - perhaps a clever probe or forcing move, or a move that makes that great move miai with another great move, while taking some kind of advantage. If you ever follow live pro games, it is amazing how unexpected many of the moves can be.

I would suggest at the least that fuseki type problems (ideally taken from a pro game so the move is at least LIKELY to be one of the best available) be generally multiple choice. Then you can remove the problems of the slightly wider extension, or the kikashi, unless it is meant to be a part of the problem.
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

that's a good idea for fuseki. i think many are already multiple choice, and maybe they all should be. it's difficult to prove a fuseki problem...
kaf

Post by kaf »

I see we're back to Joseki/Fuseki problems right to exist discussion? :)
http://www.goproblems.com/forum/viewtop ... seki#p2018

I suggest siwtching to multiple-choice mode automatically, the moment a category "fuseki" or "joseki" has been picked.