Hashtag links to site pages and common topics

BartTM

Hashtag links to site pages and common topics

Post by BartTM »

Looking into the comments posted lately I see a lot of questions about why ko is worse that living outright, bent 4 in the corner is dead, etc.
Many problems contain comments trying to clarify on these, many more don't; and rightly so as it would be too cumbersome to provide all of them with a full explanation.

It would be good though if we could somehow link to a site where that topic is explained. Currently though there is no way to do that (afaik)
Several years ago XSS code insertion was (inevitably) banned from the site, but with that we lost the possibility ro reference other problems and useful links to explain certain situations.
Obviously we cannot let problem builders execute any code or link to any site on the web.

I see no harm (but a lot of good) in allowing links to pages on this site or to a predefined set of trusted links to other sites.
Instead of explaining all about ko, seki, bent 4, nakade shapes, etc. problem and user comments could simply refer to a link about that subject.
It just needs a description how these links are defined and a mechanism to make them work.

One way to do that is by using hashtags like some social media sites do.
Simply adding a # before a number would make it a reference to the GoProblem with that number. In the problem the number would show up and function as a link.
A hashtag before a word would make it a reference to a site from the trusted links which has that word as a key access.
A hashtag before some users name would refer to that users page.

{Edit: I removed the bit about SGF, as the SGF should contain just the hashtag. It is the applet which needs to present it as a link to a known site.}

I'd love to see user comments like 'This problem is a duplicate of #12345' or variation comments like '#Ko' with the proper links.
adum
Site Admin

Re: Hashtag links to site pages and common topics

Post by adum »

that's an excellent idea. this will be easier in the future as i migrate the site to all javascript instead of the java applet.