SGF-editor built-in on site

Thomas Derz

SGF-editor built-in on site

Post by Thomas Derz »

Dear discussion members,
dear creator Adam!

This message also functions as a test for me whether posting these messages works out.
As I suggested you already directly, an on-site built-in SGF editor could overcome the barrier threshhold for posting problems.
I had many problems posting my first problem. In effect I did not succeed until now.
(Perhaps I did it totally wrong: MGT crated an MGT-file.
Go-write and CGoBan produced something (SGF), but the Java-applet on the site did nothing with the stuff from GoWrite, and only showed black stones from CGoBan.
I opened the SGF-file with WORDpad and copied into the goproblems site. Is this the way to do it?
How about the variations and letting them end in RIGHT or WRONG? Soo many questions).

Until this will happen, I pose my question:

Which one is the eaasiest, nicest and most reliable SGF-editor available, or has the best combination of these characteristics?
Who can advise me?

Tommie

{Posted by Thomas Derz}
Hans Schnabel

Post by Hans Schnabel »

Hi Thomas,

>I had many problems posting my first problem. In effect I did not succeed until now.
>(Perhaps I did it totally wrong: MGT crated an MGT-file.
>Go-write and CGoBan produced something (SGF), but the Java-applet on the site did nothing with the stuff from GoWrite, and only showed black stones from CGoBan.

I also use an older version of CGoban. I just delete all stuff concerning time, rules, etc at the beginning of the file and then copy it with "paste" into the corresponding field in the formular.

>I opened the SGF-file with WORDpad and copied into the goproblems site. Is this the way to do it?

May be the word pad editor puts something like tabulators in the sgf-file that you do not see. You should use an ascii-editor like emacs or vi on linux or unix. Since I usually do not use Windows I don't know if there exists something similar in the microsoft world..

>How about the variations and letting them end in RIGHT or WRONG? Soo many questions).

At the end of the branches which are correct you just write as comment RIGHT ( you can also add an ordinary comment ). Every branch that ends without a comment with a "RIGHT" counts as wrong.

Hans

{Posted by Hans Schnabel}
admin

Post by admin »

tderz is right, it would be nice if there were an online problem adder. it would be faster for everyone without having to learn how to coerce SGF files into problem files. unfortunately, it's kind of a big project to make this applet. there are a couple other more pressing things, and since there does currently exist a way to do it, it's going to have to wait...

it's probably better to use notepad instead of wordpad on windows, as notepad is just a plaintext editor like hans suggests.

by the way, you don't have to delete manually the extra stuff CGoban and other editors add to SGF files. goproblems will just ignore it...

adum

{Posted by admin}
Thomas Derz

Post by Thomas Derz »

Thanks, Hans and admin,

I will try.
Adam, on the BGA site (or somewhere else?) I saw an SGF-applet which can be pasted in one's own website.
Would this be a fast solution?

Tommie

NB: I could try to find it again. I have bookmarked some sites relating to Go and there is a chance that I retrieve it.

{Posted by Thomas Derz}
unkx80

Post by unkx80 »

I use Jago, and it is quite easy to use. Somemore it is freeware.

Jago can be downloaded from:
www.rene-grothmann.de/jago/

unkx80

{Posted by unkx80}