Email troubles

unkx80

Post by unkx80 »

Sorry for the rant but I am getting a bit irritated by the amount of emails I receive, in particular the email notifications from goproblems.com because I have turned on email notifications.

1) It seems that recently, there are some users who are trying out entering problems but were not successful, and keeps trying, and resulting in sometimes about 15 emails arriving in my mailbox all in one shot, but each of them point to some problem which is not active on the server. However, I do not mind if the email notifications point to valid problems. May I suggest that the site postpone sending out email notifications only after a certain period of time after the entered problem becomes active, say 1 hour, and make sure that the problem is really active when sending out the emails.

2) There is really a bug in the email notification system itself, probably because of database corruption? Sometime ago I changed the email in goproblems.com and relegated the old email account to collect all the junk emails. However presently as I checked, often the emails are sent to both my new and old email accounts. Also I wonder why sometimes I get duplicated notifications for a new problem in the same email account.

I would say that goproblems.com is a great site but it will be definitely a better site if the above two problems gets eridicated. Thanks.

{Posted by unkx80}
admin

Post by admin »

sorry for the extreme number of emails generated in the last couple days. for some reason -- and this is the first time this has happened in the history of goproblems.com -- some not very nice person decided it would be really fun to add a whole series of fake problems to the site. i deleted them as quickly as i could, but the emails were still sent out.

to address this problem, and in general to make the site better, i intend to make an email digest option where you can choose to get new problem notifications once per day or maybe once per week instead of as the problems are added. this should help a bit.

also, dealing with the changing email bug you noticed, i'm working on that. some code needs to be changed to make sure emails are sent to the latest address.

thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the problems,
adum

{Posted by admin}
unkx80

Post by unkx80 »

Ah, I see what is generating all that emails. Thank you! =)

{Posted by unkx80}