coolness

chrise

Post by chrise »

Is the coolness feature really necessary? What educational purpose does it actually serve, or is it just a bit of fun? I find intriguing problems marked low and superficial problems marked high, and vice versa; so what is the template?
chrise

{Posted by chrise}
admin

Post by admin »

i think it's interesting to see what problems people consider cool. i agree that it's not the best metric, but it certainly causes no harm.

adum

[quote]
Is the coolness feature really necessary? What educational purpose does it actually serve, or is it just a bit of fun? I find intriguing problems marked low and superficial problems marked high, and vice versa; so what is the template?
chrise
[/quote]

{Posted by admin}
Hans Peter Roggensack

Coolness

Post by Hans Peter Roggensack »

The coolness function is useful in case of comments about the coolness of a problem.
I think there are at least two aspects of coolness:
- teaching value (depending on playing strength)
- aesthetical effect

{Posted by Hans Peter Roggensack}
santa c

Post by santa c »

lol - but getting, low coolness rating, all the time (as a problem, comes out, later it raises), is abit depressing..lol - somebody here, reall hates me.. :'(

if they'd at least bother to add a comment, explainning, what they didn't like...guh..

{Posted by santa c}
santa c

Post by santa c »

would it be too extreame, to ask for an option, which would allow the author, to deny some problems, of having a coolness rating? would it even make any sense? ;)

(something tells me, i just wasted my time, composing this post;))

{Posted by santa c}
aigo

Post by aigo »

I think the coolness rating is a good idea, the ones marked high are usually the ones that require moves that one normally wouldn't consider on first glance. By sorting through coolness, you get to learn new moves.

{Posted by aigo}
santa c

Post by santa c »

lol - can't argue, with that.. ;)

mostly, but in some occasions, reseting it might be nice, like when it comes, out of the sandbox, or something..

{Posted by santa c}
chrise

Post by chrise »

It seems odd to me that one can rate one's own problem time and time again...
Hey, but why not? Give it 10/10 every time :p !!!
That's rather shallow, I was just making an obvious point...;)

chrise

{Posted by chrise}
santa c

Post by santa c »

shalow, indeed! *goes to raise his problems rating ;p*
lol

{Posted by santa c}
chrise

Post by chrise »

Truely time to do away with the coolness function; since my original post I have been baffled by what other users consider "cool" (?). As a teaching aid it really has no use at all.

chrise

{Posted by chrise}