coolness

ketran0

Meaning of Coolness

Post by ketran0 »

I think there are a few ways people determine "coolness"
Firstly, how interesting the moves are affect the rating, usually with the more unusual moves getting higher ratings. However, some people might try for a while with harder problems and get frustrated with it, thus giving it a lower rating.

That leads to another factor of coolness: frustration. People get frustrated with either problems that have too many variations that can't be all thought through or they just try for a while and can't think of an answer. Obviously, more frustrating problems receive lower scores.

Which leads to another factor: amount of variations and length
I think people normally prefer problems without too many variations, especially if, as said before, the valid ones are not accounted for and fully explained as wrong. Also, though, there is a point to how few variations you could have. This comes down to personal preference. The length of the problem is also part of it; usually, the ones that go on longer than the person thought it would are more interesting, and would probably receive a higher score. To some, though, long problems are exhausting and monotonous and would receive a low score.

Coolness really comes down to just everyone's preference and how much they like the problem. That really is the definition of "cool" too (besides meaning slightly cold). The rating system, besides the fact that it lets people rate and re-rate, is not flawed at all and lets people know how likely it is that they would like the problem.

{Posted by ketran0}
santa c

Post by santa c »

of course ones opinion on the coolness of the problem is HIS opinion... but people who get frustrated by hard problems - sad because they require in-depth reading or have quite a few possible variations are just sad... people shouldn't rate a problem pourly just because they're still too weak to solve it... it should come in time - instead they should be studying it and understanding why things go the way they do and learnning new patterns/ ideas or trying to read out all possible moves even after they know the correct solution to become stronger... well and not do it with problems aimed for real 6d when they're still 15k... =)

{Posted by santa c}
Field Mouse

Coolness vottess

Post by Field Mouse »

I find getting coolnes 1 with no-bugs problem also quite annoying.
I would also make coolness voting possible only for the registered users. I think it would solve the frustration and no reasoaned voting as well as it solved the spam problems.
Also, everyone could have in his info what is his average coolness rating - would be really interesting :-)
Like Field Mouse (97%, Honinbo, Cool. votes 9.12, Greasy problem critic) :-)

On the other had I think that the coolness of many problems is higher than it should be. An average problem should get rating 5, not 7 or 8.
7 should be very good result and 8 rated problems should be really good ones.
And rating 9 should be for 5% problems, not for so many as now. And 10? Oh...! :-D
Well but that's everyones opinion.
This is also connected with the self - rating - It is not very good. Some problems have coolness 10 just because their creator voted it several times 10 while no onther cared about it :-)
You could also show the coolness not only as 5 or 6, but maybye 5,55/20 - avg coolness/number of votes would look better.
Another thing that would be interesting would be to add some *advanced problem rating* - where you can vote from 1 to 10 for example its teaching, fun, interesting, real game use qualities etc.

There is almost nothing challenging about the problem coolness rating now so for me it serves only to mark the problems which are WRONG - coolness 1-3.
I recommend: do the changes I suggested and restart it! :-D

Ruler of Desert.

{Posted by Field Mouse}
kaf

Post by kaf »

I concur with FieldMouse. There should be some objective way of recognition of a good problem, as well as of a bad one. Now, if somebody is fishing for problems, about 30% of problems he gets is junk.

{Posted by kaf}