coolness

unkx80

Post by unkx80 »

I am sometimes baffled by how others think about the coolness too.

But some hints about what I think is not cool:

1. A problem with too many possible solutions. Such problems make me think, what is the purpose of this problem?

2. Related to 1, but some authors frequently forget to add valid solution paths. They see in some book or game a certain sequence which leads to the solution, but they often forget that there are other valid paths as well. Such problems frustrate me, so if I give coolness ratings to such problems, usually I give a 1 or 2.

3. Problems whose "solutions" are clearly wrong. Those problems also deserve a 1 or 2 coolness rating as far as I am concerned.

{Posted by unkx80}
chrise

Post by chrise »

Yes, I know what you mean, and most probably I've committed some of the errors you point out! :)
However, I find your first point odd, because from the point of a beginner a problem with multiple solutions can give a little confidence and lead to understanding.
However, not fully covering all variations is rather annoying, but who am I to talk, I've done it myself, and am grateful to whoever corrects me.
To return to my main point, what value does the coolness feature have as a teaching aid?

chrise

{Posted by chrise}
unkx80

Post by unkx80 »

I think the coolness is a mesaure of how much people liked a problem, and is not very related to teaching value. So a problem which demonstrates the concept of say snapback may have great teaching value but may also be very boring, and hence get low coolness ratings.

{Posted by unkx80}
chrise

Post by chrise »

Alas!

chrise

{Posted by chrise}
ellbur

Coolness

Post by ellbur »

I think that to make coolness more descriptive, it would be good to show it as a histogram.

There is another way that I think coolness could be improved, but it seems impossible to implement:

For each user, average the total coolness votes, and then divide the average by a constant, and then when determining a problem's coolness, divide the result from each vote cast by that user.

This would keep the averge coolness constant.

{Posted by ellbur}
chrise

Post by chrise »

Unfortunately people offer their coolness rating without making a comment. If the problem is flawed, I am certain that the creator would like to know why, rather than see a low rating without explanation.
chrise

{Posted by chrise}
maba

Post by maba »

I think flawed problems should be corrected or deleted, not get a low coolness.

Most people who try to solve a problem don't seem to give a coolness rating. I wonder if the ratings given by the people who do rate coolness are representative for all people who tried to solve the problem. If anyone has a theory about that, i'd like to hear it.

{Posted by maba}
chrise

Post by chrise »

"I think flawed problems should be corrected or deleted, not get a low coolness"

Yes indeed. Perhaps there should be an official way of contacting the moderators if this is the case, particularly with those problems that have remained "broken" after a certain length of time.

chrise

{Posted by chrise}
kaf

Coolness rating

Post by kaf »

It's hard to find a good problem. I assume, that the "coolness" rating system designed to help with the search. But, apparently, once too often people rating the problem have no idea (say, when a 20k user rates a 6d problem). I think, the rating system would make more sense, if it allows one rating a problem only after soving the problem.

{Posted by kaf}
ketran0

Meaning of Coolness

Post by ketran0 »

I think there are a few ways people determine "coolness"
Firstly, how interesting the moves are affect the rating, usually with the more unusual moves getting higher ratings. However, some people might try for a while with harder problems and get frustrated with it, thus giving it a lower rating.

That leads to another factor of coolness: frustration. People get frustrated with either problems that have too many variations that can't be all thought through or they just try for a while and can't think of an answer. Obviously, more frustrating problems receive lower scores.

Which leads to another factor: amount of variations and length
I think people normally prefer problems without too many variations, especially if, as said before, the valid ones are not accounted for and fully explained as wrong. Also, though, there is a point to how few variations you could have. This comes down to personal preference. The length of the problem is also part of it; usually, the ones that go on longer than the person thought it would are more interesting, and would probably receive a higher score. To some, though, long problems are exhausting and monotonous and would receive a low score.

Coolness really comes down to just everyone's preference and how much they like the problem. That really is the definition of "cool" too (besides meaning slightly cold). The rating system, besides the fact that it lets people rate and re-rate, is not flawed at all and lets people know how likely it is that they would like the problem.

{Posted by ketran0}