contrast - as in opposite groups

santa c

contrast - as in opposite groups

Post by santa c »

some problems, are putted in i-logical catagories - like a problem can't be both "amature game" and "fun" - as fun is explained with unlikly situations(unreal).
(btw - to the mods - why do my probs, get into fun?:)

it could be another state/cat. of groups..

as well as - some groups are ment to just "group problems" and others to describe what they r/how r they set and such(like "corner based") - could be also sapperated... as all problems, can be classified as corner/side based or floating but they can be somehing else as well... or maybe they just should be "invisible"? (as in only mods see/ppl who searched/ppl, who chose to c or not to c, in their profile'd get what they chose..)

{Posted by santa c}
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

[quote]
some problems, are putted in i-logical catagories - like a problem can't be both "amature game" and "fun" - as fun is explained with unlikly situations(unreal).
(btw - to the mods - why do my probs, get into fun?:)
[/quote]

The current definition of "Fun" as I use it, is problems that will not appear in real games. So basically any problem with instructions, counting points problems, etc belong to Fun.
Were planning a major overhaul of the groups system soon, so that it can work with subgroups and more. Maybe we should split the Fun group into other subgroups but I'm not yet clear on how that should be done. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

[quote]
it could be another state/cat. of groups..

as well as - some groups are ment to just "group problems" and others to describe what they r/how r they set and such(like "corner based") - could be also sapperated... as all problems, can be classified as corner/side based or floating but they can be somehing else as well... or maybe they just should be "invisible"? (as in only mods see/ppl who searched/ppl, who chose to c or not to c, in their profile'd get what they chose..)
[/quote]

The idea behind the corner/side/middle (floating) based Giant and Wholeboard problems is that every single problem is contained in exactly one of these groups. It may be possible some problems don't fit and if they do please let me know.

{Posted by Spirit}
santa c

Post by santa c »

about "fun" - well - i do the following alot - i take a situation, from a 19x19 and make a smaller board out of it - with 9x9s, i do it, to make the little idea, matter much more - like win/lose/tie...

another time, i took, a problem, and moved it from the side, just as it was, to the corner, just cause, it's easier to search there..

and i usually put them, under amature games, or write that i moded it into a smaller board(or moved). anyway - if u think, it makes the situations, less realistic, i don't mind them getting into fun.. just that...

(in case, u'll agree with me, i'd apriciate, my problems, "fun" catagorisation, being left to me.. - but if u mind - heh - i don't ;)

hmm.. besides - should i always put my problems, in one of the corner/side based/floating/whole bored positions? i can catagorise my probs this way...

any other groups, i should have in mind?
(i mean, groups, which describe board positions..)

(thanks, for ur fast reply, btw;)

{Posted by santa c}
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

[quote]
about "fun" - well - i do the following alot - i take a situation, from a 19x19 and make a smaller board out of it - with 9x9s, i do it, to make the little idea, matter much more - like win/lose/tie...

another time, i took, a problem, and moved it from the side, just as it was, to the corner, just cause, it's easier to search there..

and i usually put them, under amature games, or write that i moded it into a smaller board(or moved). anyway - if u think, it makes the situations, less realistic, i don't mind them getting into fun.. just that...

(in case, u'll agree with me, i'd apriciate, my problems, "fun" catagorisation, being left to me.. - but if u mind - heh - i don't ;)
[/quote]

As long as any editing doesn't seriously change the "normal" structure of the game (No strange clumps of stones on the 1-1 points for example) it woulnd't be a reason to put it into Fun. However if someone adds "ungamelike" choiches it wil almost certainly be added to Fun. Go ahead if you want to add your problems to Fun yourself, it would only save the mods some time : )

[quote]
hmm.. besides - should i always put my problems, in one of the corner/side based/floating/whole bored positions? i can catagorise my probs this way...
[/quote]

Yes that would be very helpful thank you. (There's also the Giant group.)

[quote]
any other groups, i should have in mind?
(i mean, groups, which describe board positions..)

(thanks, for ur fast reply, btw;)
[/quote]

There are a lot of groups that describe certain tesuji: nose hit, 1st line tesuji, guzumi tesuji, etc. or shapes: seki, multiple ko, rule set dependant etc. They will probably not occur very often but if any of these apply please add them. If you are unsure please ask me or add them to they new "What Group?" Group and I wil do it.

{Posted by Spirit}
santa c

Post by santa c »

ohh, i c - thanks, alot :)

{Posted by santa c}
santa c

Post by santa c »

hmm.. got a q- are there any problem, u remmber, which like, http://www.goproblems.com/prob.php3?id=3308, hold the solution, in defiying a basic principle (in this one it's a snapback protection - but could be bolder..)? if so, it could be a "secret" group..

{Posted by santa c}
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

What kind of problems exactly are you looking for?

{Posted by Spirit}
santa c

Post by santa c »

well, like the one, i mentioned, something, that needs a scond look - as the first one maybe completly deciving - i mean, like in the problem, in which i mentioned, it'd be naturaly, to just connect, and save froma snapback, but it'd cost the game..

{Posted by santa c}
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

[quote]
well, like the one, i mentioned, something, that needs a scond look - as the first one maybe completly deciving - i mean, like in the problem, in which i mentioned, it'd be naturaly, to just connect, and save froma snapback, but it'd cost the game..
[/quote]

I'm afraid "needs a 2nd look" is a rather vague discription as it depends entirely on the player who solves the problem. Often when I give lessons I have people commenting "What a strange and beautiful move!" when it was a standard and completely obvious one to me.

{Posted by Spirit}
santa c

Post by santa c »

hm... ur right - it's like, i used, to adore simple snapback just a month or 2 ago.. :)

{Posted by santa c}