deactivated comments

tigre

Post by tigre »

I've noticed that there are a lot of de-activated comments surrounding paths that people suggest and discuss that ultimately get refuted. I think that unless a comment is just trivially wrong or irrelevant that it should be up to the poster to deactivate rather than editors to do so. If I thought my comment wasn't worthwhile, I'd either not post it in the first place or take it down myself. It is very helpful to me to read what other people thought, even if they ended up being wrong, and I'm totally willing to let other people review my thoughts even when they're ultimately wrong. It's part of the learning process for us all.

{Posted by tigre}
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

These comments can still be read by clicking the "show deactivated comments" link at the top of the page. We don't really have general guidelines for deactivating problems. Personally I deactivate anything that is dealt with and things that don't have to stay up for other reasons. If you think a comment really should stay active please leave a comment saying so.

{Posted by Spirit}

Deactivating

Post by Guest »

Could you give specific examples on which comments should not have been deactivated in your opinion? When talking about specific cases it might be easier to find the reasons for deactivating or not deactivating than when talking in just the general case.

I myself deactivate comments when they have been worked into the main problem, either by having the sequence itself added, or by the problem having been changed so that the remark does not apply any more. If it is simply a question that is answered, I do in general not deactivate it (exception: when the answer is given by the same person as the poster, usually with a comment like "I should not be visiting this site on 4 am" added).

{Posted by }