annoying applet

santa c

Post by santa c »

i tried making a problem and the stupid applet got stuck on the wrong color in the midde... naturally being used to it, i started all over...

sending 2nd copy of the finished problem, ie got stuck... "back" into an empty page.. *gives up*

(worst part is that i actually worked on the comments and i'm using a damn virt keybd atm!)

yea i know i could've used cgoban and it's my fault but it doesn't have the marked paths (green, red) on the board and i really need'em..

adum, i REALLY could use a switching colors btn... (maybe away of seeng the sgf in progress? like a little win with the text?(hiding by default) would als be nice if icould load a half fiished one there as well..would help with the stupid same color bug..)

{Posted by santa c}
admin

Post by admin »

i'm going to have a way to save a half-finished problem eventually... sorry about your troubles!

adum

{Posted by admin}
Emile Wester

Post by Emile Wester »

I had that problem also (wrong stone colour), but I could just submit it (in my sandbox) and then edit again. No starting from scratch or anything.
Before submitting, though, you have to first select a right path ofcourse.

{Posted by Emile Wester}
santa c

Post by santa c »

yes i know u can edit it again later... after u submitted and got 1 from some pissed off person who didn't see his var covered and all... (;) even not looking at it and putting it in the sandbox and such...

besides some big problems just take a lot of time and would be nice to start working on it.. and then going back to it.

also an important thing is that the time when a problem first appears is crucial for its level desicion and all...

doesn't bother me as much now... since it doesn't seem to happen lately... i wonder if it has something to do with my switching my primary browser... ohh well...

{Posted by santa c}
chrise

Post by chrise »

"i'm going to have a way to save a half-finished problem eventually"
This would be nice indeed!

chrise

{Posted by chrise}

Applet problems

Post by Guest »

One problem I tend to have is that I push the 'back' button of my browser when I intend to go '1 move back'. All edits gone :-(

{Posted by }
Emile Wester

Post by Emile Wester »

[quote]
"i'm going to have a way to save a half-finished problem eventually"
This would be nice indeed!

chrise
[/quote]

But it would not prevent some of the problems people are having (like Andre's example of the back button). You'd still have to remember to save it often.

Maybe the solution would be to have an extra field on the graphical edit page, with the 'current sgf code' (might be a hidden field if you don't want to show it). The applet would take this sgf code as its source when it's loaded, unless it's empty (since then you're just starting to make one). I think, if you then go to another page and back, the browser should have remembered this field's value and the applet can just rebuild itself according to the sgf in the field.

If this would work, it would solve hitting the back button or some other process making your editing window browse to another url (like my mail program did when I clicked a link, aaargh). ;)

What do people think, would this work? Haven't tested it since I just thought this up as a possible solution.

Another solution could be to have a stateful servlet with sessions and stuff, but that would be unnecessarily complicated I think.

{Posted by Emile Wester}
chrise

Post by chrise »

One problem I tend to have is that I push the 'back' button of my browser when I intend to go '1 move back'. All edits gone :-(

I didn't mention this because I thought it was my own ineptitude but now it's out of the closet (OOER MISSUS)I admit freely to the the same frustrating situation. Hit back for whatever reason and bye bye to half hours work.

{Posted by chrise}
chrise

Post by chrise »

As they say over here:
"Get it sorted!"

chrise

{Posted by chrise}