'tighten' the rating sys?

santa c

Post by santa c »

dunno if it's just me - but it seems to me that the rating sys is incredible "weak" here - maybe a huge flow of new ppl or something? but some 20k problems being 8k and stuff that i can solve going up to 4d easily? :S

{Posted by santa c}
chrise

Post by chrise »

water finds it's own level santa c

chrise

{Posted by chrise}
santa c

Post by santa c »

i disagree - we aren't setting the water level, we're just changing our point of view at it.

and it seems needed - whenever i see probs from GP are discussed on kgs the rank is always treated as some preety note - never is considered to be of that difficulty - nobody seems to belive it as it is...

{Posted by santa c}
chrise

Post by chrise »

The rating reflects the strength of the users. How are you going to alter that?

chrise

{Posted by chrise}
santa c

Post by santa c »

the rating here is a function of the % of ppl who fail to solve a problem.

the current ratio is -

25k is 20%
20k is 25%
18k is 30%
6k is 60%
5k is 64%
4k is 68%
2k is 76%
1k is 79%
4d is 91%

5d is 93% and 6d is 96%

i'm just suggesting raising them up a bit for the lower ranks...

{Posted by santa c}
Emile Wester

Post by Emile Wester »

It's all based on statistics. I don't know what the averages would be for different ranks, but I can imagine that mostly beginners would visit this site and a handful of stronger players (3 dan and up), so that might bias the percentages a bit to one side.

It's not based on people's playing strength at least, since the site doesn't ask people for their strengths.

{Posted by Emile Wester}
Pac

Post by Pac »

Thats true 4 some but for other its just the opposite,

I still remember how i saw Go at 20k and ive seen some real difficult problems... and some 2D stuff that i can solve with my eyes shut.

its really tuff to get a straight rating sys, i think Goproblems isnt perfect but mostly accurate.

I said nothin ---

Hey guys, did u know, problem 3087 is damaged!!!!

{Posted by Pac}
chrise

Post by chrise »

santa c you keep on mentioning kgs like it is some kind of yardstick, it's not!

chrise

{Posted by chrise}
santa c

Post by santa c »

i didn't mean it as such... it's just the only serv i visit lately... and i didn't say comparing to the ranks there or anything... they're kinda messy till the next ver... but generally ppl who play on other servs i chatted with, think the same...

some problems are harder than their rank here... but only some - because of the way users treat them while mostly it feels liek they overrated...

{Posted by santa c}

automatic checking

Post by Guest »

Couldn't we use the results of logged-in users with specified ranks for an automatic checking of these? Take a few problems for each percentage, and look at which logged-in users have solved them correctly. Then put those users in a list from strongest to weakest, and check that place in the list. For example, if 44 out of 131 logged-in users with specified rank solved the problem correctly, take the strength of the 44th user as the difficulty of the problem (or adapt to get another percentage than 50% to solve the problem correctly at its level). Doing this with a number of problems on all applicable percentages will get a percentage-to-grade scale that is more than just a random guess.

{Posted by }