Auto problem selection

Site news and updates.
adum
Site Admin

Re: Auto problem selection

Post by adum »

hi field mouse -- my goal is to give more options that help users. first, i'm going to make it soon so you'll get credit for problems you've solved a while ago, but haven't tried recently, so that will help. second, you can always search for problems on the problem search page that fit certain criteria. how would you like to use the site exactly?
Field Mouse

Post by Field Mouse »

Hello adum,
the way I used to use the site before the changes was:
- go to the main page
- get random problem
- browsing by the "prev" and "next" buttons
Easy and fast, I got a nice random mix of easy (solving easy problems and refreshing basic shapes is nice too) and hard problems of all kinds just with a single click from the main page.

Now I have to:
- go to the main page
- go to the problems
- click search
- get problems, then start solving and browsing

The new system is less comfortable than the old one - I would like if there was a possibility of getting a totally random problem from the main page and then a browse "next" and "prev" buttons like before. The go to problems! button does not work well - it gives me only problems of certain strenght (currently too low and when I get to 6d then getting 5d+ problems only will be a bit boring too). Maybye a checkbox or an user setting that would set the go to problems! button to a mode in which it gives the user totally random problems no matter the difficulty of the user and my goproblems rank would be very nice and would completely satisfy my needs. :-)
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

okay, thanks for the feedback. i'll think about this situation.
0n1

Post by 0n1 »

BartTM wrote:I am slightly in favor of a longer period, like a month.

(You do plan to use it for selecting problems, i hope?)
How about have a weight on the time passed by for the tried problem
say:
the weight is k = (1-1/n)^2
the new score = old score + k * attempt score

this way all efforts will be counted
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

On1 -- i like your idea! thanks
BartTM

Post by BartTM »

When solving problems distributed by the Next button (I guess it is called that, as it spells 'Volgende' in Dutch (correctly so)) I got problem 3244 twice in a very short while. (I solved it first time and went here the second time) ...
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

that's odd -- it shouldn't repeat. you were logged in, right?
BartTM

Post by BartTM »

Right, I was. This happened before, but at first I was not sure whether it was a duplicate problem or so. But this time I went backwards and forwards in my browser history to verify that it really was the same. Only 3 problem attempts apart even.
(and I'm still only 16 kyu. Even though I do not really care about the rating nor put too much effort in solving them correctly first time around, I feel it should have gone up quicker than this. Also it seems stationary and then suddenly skips several grades...)
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

okay. i'll be improving this in the future: every problem you solve will show exactly how your rating changes.
jamato

Post by jamato »

As momojojo said, "you used to be able to choose the type of problem (life or death, endgame, etc. . .), and the problem level". I was using that all the time and I really liked it - can we get it back ?