New rating system

Site news and updates.
adum
Site Admin

New rating system

Post by adum »

so i've updated the site with a new rating system for problem solvers: you start at 30 kyu, and work your way up as high as you can by solving new problems. i think this should be fun as well as educational.

let me know how this feels for people -- and if the ratings seem appropriate for the difficulty of the problems.

note: your old rating graphs were based on a different starting point. they now start at 30 kyu.

(this is using the Elo rating system for both problems and users.)
kaf

Re: New rating system

Post by kaf »

Nice improvement, Adum!
The hardest is to get through 10k-2k problems. Apparently, most of invalid problems fall into this range.
adum3

Post by adum3 »

let's get rid of the invalid problems!
kaf

Post by kaf »

Interesting fact, - if I edit a problem or look at the comments without solving it first, - my rating goes down. So, in order to fix an invalid problem, one has to sacrifice his rating. No wonder I'm still a 31k. :)
adum
Site Admin

Post by adum »

hmmn, i can try to modify that behavior for editors
kaf

Post by kaf »

Honestly, I don't hang on my rating. That was meant as a joke. Overall, it's a good idea to spice up the site. Let's not make it unnecessarily complicated.
GeoGo

Post by GeoGo »

I don't really get this ranking - initialy I was jumping between 30 and 19 kyu. Now I stuck on 25 and despite solving lot of old problems I can't move up.
slashme

Post by slashme »

I still have to upgrade to a pro account (soon, I promise!) but I kind of enjoy the weekly challenge to see how quickly I can climb up to a good rating, and I find the problems to be generally appropriately rated.

To GeoGo, maybe you need to reset your stats? That way, you'll start fresh, and climb up through easy problems to your correct rank: should go quite quickly.
Premian

Post by Premian »

Hi, my rating is still 3 stones weaker than my IGS rating. Is that normal? IGS rating is 6K.
Premian

Post by Premian »

My goproblems rank is 4 kyu now. I am finding some of the 3 to 5 kyu problems easier than some of the 10 kyu problems for some reason.