New version: inline comments + Swing

Site news and updates.
admin

Post by admin »

hi LCZLAPINSKI -- you make a good point, but this problem should go away on its own once i switch the main site over to the new version of the applet. the reason being, there is no longer a need to follow paths in comments, since you can now leave a comment on the right part of the path instead!

thanks,
adum

{Posted by admin}
LCZLAPINSKI

Post by LCZLAPINSKI »

[quote]
hi LCZLAPINSKI -- you make a good point, but this problem should go away on its own once i switch the main site over to the new version of the applet. the reason being, there is no longer a need to follow paths in comments, since you can now leave a comment on the right part of the path instead!

thanks,
adum
[/quote]
When you try to play out a suggested path on the new site which is at a point in the problem path you still lose the comment you are trying to play out.

{Posted by LCZLAPINSKI}
admin

Post by admin »

you shouldn't have to play out a suggested path on the new site -- the suggested path takes the form of an actual path in the problem, not a textual list of moves.

adum

{Posted by admin}
xela

Too wide!

Post by xela »

I'm sorry to say that the new version really doesn't work for me. There's some stuff off to the right of the screen that I can only see part of (I get a bit of what I think is the tree view, but no comments), and it won't scroll horizonally or resize.

My screen resolution is 1024x768; I'm using Firefox 1.0.4 (also tried Opera 8.51, same results) on Fedora 4; java version 1.5.0_04.

{Posted by xela}
admin

Post by admin »

xela, is teh behavior the same on all problems? some have different widths. i'll try some testing on 1024 screens.

thanks,
adum

{Posted by admin}
xela

Post by xela »

[quote]
xela, is the behavior the same on all problems? some have different widths. i'll try some testing on 1024 screens.

thanks,
adum
[/quote]

For "small" problems, eg problem number 8880, I can see the variation tree. When it is a full board, eg problem 6467, I can see the leftmost bit of the variation tree, with a horizontal scrollbar (so I can get to the rest if I want, but it's awkward).

Immediately below the variation tree, there is a checkbox for "show deactivated comments", then a box for typing in new comments. But I can't (even on the "small" problems) see the already existing comments anywhere. On which part of the screen should they be? Is there anything else to the right of the variation tree?

Even for the small problems, I don't always want to run my browser in full-screen mode--it would be good if there were a horizontal scrollbar along the whole of the window so that I can see variations and comments no matter how small the window is. Alternatively, an option to put the variation tree below the board would help.

Thanks for your help. The new features do look quite cool!

{Posted by xela}
admin

Post by admin »

okay, i realize i had a bug in the deployment where no comments were showing up at all for anyone. that should be fixed now. still, i will test more with small screens. ideally, the board would resize arbitrarily.

adum

{Posted by admin}
Vladimir Levin

Restart?

Post by Vladimir Levin »

After I look at comments, I can't seem to restart the problem without going to the next problem and back again... This is in Firefox 1.5.0.11. Has anyone else had this problem?

{Posted by Vladimir Levin}
admin

Post by admin »

it's true that you can no longer replay it, but you can navigate through it interactively. i decided that once you've seen the position tree and the comments, there's not much need to play through the problem with the computer responding automatically to your moves any more. if people disagree with this reasoning, i'd like to hear it.

adum

{Posted by admin}
BostonGo

I can't read the comments. :-(

Post by BostonGo »

I have a MacBook with Java 1.4. I can't see the comments using Safari or Firefox. Am I doing something wrong? Other seem to be able to see comments. Any instruction is appreciated.

{Posted by BostonGo}