Any ideas to make people stop messing around?

blue88

Any ideas to make people stop messing around?

Post by blue88 »

The amount of people adding whole openings and even games seems to increase here. Just see http://www.josekipedia.com/#path:qddc for an example. Unfortunately the only idea I have to stop this is to force people to register an account before adding changes and give them a warning by an admin (or a temporary/permanent ban if they do it over and over again). Any better ideas or admin opinion on this?
adum
Site Admin

Re: Any ideas to make people stop messing around?

Post by adum »

this is a classic dilemma for collaboration projects: how to encourage participation and make the bar to entry low, but still not let the garbage pollute the good stuff.

i've got a few things in place on this front. first, people can't edit the type of the top node. basic, but makes a difference. second, there are some warning alerts given to unregistered players when they try to change something for the first time. this helps a lot, because sometimes people don't realize that what they're doing affects everybody. third, every position has move type votes. this is a way for people to vote on the "correctness" of a move type (ideal, good, bad, etc.). if a position has enough votes that we can calculate a consensus, we can lock it down for users under a certain reputation. i haven't implemented this yet as there aren't enough move type votes in the system.